The Toolangi Hotel started out as a guest house during the 1890's. Located on the southern side of the corner of Myers Creek Road and the then Chum Creek Road (now known as Healesville Kinglake Road) i t had splendid accommodation and was in a picturesque setting.
In 1913 it became a licensed premises and served the community for the following 60 years.
Unfortunately on the 19th April 1975 on a very foggy early morning it was destroyed by fire and the then licensee decided against rebuilding it - even though the locals rallied for it. While the building was totally destroyed, the locals saved the beer. For weeks afterwards the locals would gather under the trees at the old pub site, and assist in depleting the stocks of "that rich amber fluid". For the next thirty years, Toolangi remained without a pub. The property was sold in 1978 and there is a private residence now located on the site.
In the meantime, a resident living opposite the hotel decided to extend his small home to house a small grocery store. The extention was built in the early 1970's, and this operated until the mid 1990's when a liquor license was granted, which ensured Toolangi residents were able to buy their liquor locally for the first time in 20 odd years. Even though the locals were able to buy liquor locally, they still had to take it home to drink it.
The general store struggled for years to survive, but eventually closed its doors in late 1999.
Michelle Owen, a real estate representative visited Toolangi in 2001 to do a valuation, and stumbled across the former general store. She immediately saw the potential the site had with the million dollar views of the surrounding forests and farmland.
After a search of the official regisisters, it was discovered that the liquor license was still "alive", so the arrears of fees were quickly paid and the paperwork was completed by the end of 2001. After some partial renovations, the general store re-opened its doors on Australia Day 2002, much to the delight of the locals.
Plans for the new Toolangi Pub were drawn up, and the battle commenced. Once the application was lodged with the council, 7 groups within the community opposed the development, representing about 35 people in total. However many other people sprang to Michelle's assistance, lobbying and writing letters to councillors and the local press.
Eventually over 2 years later, the permit was issued by the Murrindindi Shire Council with a number of amendments placed on the application to appease the small number of objectors to the tavern, mainly concerns about noise and car parking.
Building work commenced in June 2005, and the grand opening took place on 1 September, 2006.